Here we go again! That’s the title of the long-awaited Mamma Mia sequel and here’s everything you need to know.
Spoilers to follow.
What’s it about?
Set five years after Mamma Mia, the new film returns to the island of Kalokairi to find Donna passed away and her daughter Sophie pregnant.
With her relationship with Sky somewhat on the rocks, Sophie must now face the possibility of having to bring up a child all on her own. Just as her mum did all those years before…
Much of the focus of this sequel is a flashback to Donna’s youth, exploring how she came to the island, established a business, met three men and had a baby.
Who’s in it?
Just about everyone from Mamma Mia has returned for the sequel – including Meryl Streep as Donna, who features across the soundtrack. Lily James plays the young Streep, whilst Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper are, once again, Sophie and Sky.
In the present-day action, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård and Piers Brosnan play Sophie’s three dads – Harry, Bill and Sam, whilst Hugh Skinner (TV’s The Windsors), Josh Dylan (Allied) and Jeremy Irvine (War Horse) star as their younger selves.
Julie Walters and Christine Baranski are also back for more, with Alexa Davies and Jessica Keenan Wynn playing the pair in flashbacks.
The biggest new arrival is, of course, pop-legend Cher, who joins as Sophie’s estranged grandmother, Ruby Sheridan. The film sees Ruby reunite with a former flame called – one for ABBA fans – Fernando (Andy Garcia).
Who’s made it?
First film director Phyllida Lloyd hasn’t made a film since 2011’s The Iron Lady but The Best (and Second Best) Exotic Marigold Hotel‘s Ol Parker is a more than capable replacement.
Parker’s script is based on a story by himself, first film writer and original musical creator Catherine Johnson, and Richard Curtis.
With songs pilfered from the ABBA back catalogue, Anne Dudley provides additional music, whilst Robert Yeoman is on cinematography and Peter Lambert edits.
What songs feature?
- When I Kissed the Teacher (Young Donna and the Dynamos)
- I Wonder (Young Donna and the Dynamos)
- One of Us (Sophie and Sky)
- Waterloo (Young Harry and Young Donna)
- Why Did It Have to be Me? (Young Bill, Young Donna and Young Harry)
- I Have a Dream (Young Donna)
- Kisses of Fire (Lazaros, Young Tanya and Young Rosie)
- Andante, Andante (Young Donna)
- The Name of the Game (Young Donna)
- Knowing Me, Knowing You (Young Sam, Young Donna, Sam, Sophie)
- Angel Eyes (Tanya, Rosie and Sophie)
- Mamma Mia (Young Donna and the Dynamos)
- Dancing Queen (Sophie, Rosie, Tanya, Sam, Bill and Harry)
- I’ve Been Waiting for You (Sophie, Rosie and Tanya)
- Fernando (Ruby and Fernando)
- My Love, My Life (Sophie, Young Donna and Donna)
- Super Trouper (Full Cast)
- The Day Before You Came (Donna)
When’s it out?
After last night’s (16 July) premiere, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! has its wide release on Friday, 20 July. We can’t wait!
Watch the trailer here: